Should you Become a Nurse? Check Out The Statistics

Choosing a new career of any kind can be a daunting proposition. How are you really supposed to see what might be a good option, and which will be more of a fruitless endeavor, not suited to what you’re looking for? While everyone is looking for something different, viewing the facts and statistics for a particular field, like a nursing career, can help you determine what may or may not be right for you. When you see the facts for a nursing career, you may just be persuaded to pursue that option and jump into this field sooner than later.

First, one of the major facts behind a nursing career right now is the overall demand for new individuals to enter the field. There’s a projected need for 580,000 new or replacement RNs by 2018, and a projected total of 800,000 unfilled nursing positions by 2020, both absolutely huge figures.

This can be related to several different reasons, such as an aging workforce, with an average age of RNs increasing to 47 from an average of 40 several decades ago. In addition, nurses now hold more types of positions and perform a broader scope of duties and tasks. They outnumber doctors in hospitals at a 4-to-1 rate, and increasingly hold more and more responsibility.

Additionally, it’s not only the hospitals were nurses work today. Over 60% still find their calling in this domain, but that leaves nearly 40% that are employed in numerous other facilities and settings, such as outpatient facilities, home health care, long-term care facilities, nonprofit organizations, private physicians offices, and more.

Finally, while most individuals pursuing a nursing career aren’t overly interested in earnings potential and salary figures, it is always an important factor to consider as well. The good news is that on top of everything else, nurses bring in some great salaries as well. According to a 2007 survey by the Bureau of Labor Statistics, RNs earned an average annual salary of $61,000, and that number greatly increases for those on the upper end of the profession and those with a good deal of experience.

When you do want to pursue a nursing career, obtaining a BSN is the way to go. Over half of nurses today have a bachelors or higher level of education, which is double the figure from 1980. The number is continuing to grow too, and more and more, a BSN is becoming required, either explicitly or in an unsaid fashion thanks to how many other candidates are obtaining that degree, for the type of employment you’ll be seeking.

If you have taken a look at the facts and statistics above, then you have seen for yourself that a nursing career is exciting and rewarding in many ways. There are loads of job opportunities, more types of jobs and specialties than ever before, great salaries, an intrinsically rewarding profession, and much more. So, should you become a nurse? More and more individuals are answering that with a yes, thanks to the facts available above.

Speak Your Mind

*